Cemetery is one of the most intact historic properties
associated with the growth and development of the
African-American community of Vicksburg and Warren County,
Mississippi. From its establishment in 1884 until
the 1940's, the cemetery was the most important cemetery for
Vicksburg-area African Americans and remains today a
visible landmark for the black community.
African American community has historically constituted
about half of Vicksburg's population. Beulah
provides significant historical information about this
important group of citizens through its gravestones.
So few historic resources
concerning the area African American community remain,
increasing the significance of Beulah Cemetery.
cemetery is the final resting place for over 5500 members of the
most prominent black families in Vicksburg, including
ancestors of almost every native black in the Vicksburg
area. The cemetery documents the existence of
generations of people for whom otherwise there might be no
surviving material available.
the prominent people buried at Beulah are the founders of
the black funeral homes (Jeffersons/Dillons); G. M. McIntyre, principal of Cherry Street School
and school namesake; Robert Banks Marshall, the city's
first black postal employee; and William Tillmon Jones,
grand chancellor of the Knights of Pythias, 1889-1906.